Why should I consider the Samuel Group?
Every Christian has a vocation, a special invitation from God to become holy and whole, to walk a unique, earthly path that leads ultimately to heaven. Each Samuel Group participant is encouraged to bring his or her unique questions, desires, strengths, and weaknesses to God, and to learn to respond to His loving voice. Each discovers what he or she needs to do to know the Lord better, which in turn leads to a deeper knowledge of the true self and what it means to live in the joy of Christ.
Just as Pope John Paul II encouraged young people to devote one day each month to prayer and reflection, so too, we Apostles of the Interior Life invite you to set aside a few hours on a Sunday afternoon in order to learn more about God and yourself and investigate your vocation, a special call from God.
Samuel Group is open to all young adults ages 19-30 who:
- have at least a minimal prayer life,
- wish to seriously discern the will of God in their life, and
- have a spiritual director (or find one to begin the program)
STRUCTURE OF THE PROGRAM
- Each monthly meeting involves a brief social period, time for guided reflection, an hour of Adoration in front of the Blessed Sacrament, including the possibility for Confession, a purification talk, small group sharing, and “spiritual assignments” for the month.
- Throughout the month, students must meet at least once with their personal spiritual director, develop a regular schedule of prayer, and abide by the rules of the Samuel Group.
- At the end of the year, candidates are highly encouraged to submit a letter to the Bishop expressing plans for the future. If they are still uncertain about their vocation they are able to choose among many opportunities to serve in the local Church and continue to discern.